Thursday, September 01, 2011

Debut

First post for September...yihaa!!! "Ber" months are here again.


Plenty of socialization this month and I'm particularly excited about the 18th birthday of BH's niece. The debutante's mom (a cousin-in-law) gave me a part usually for guests 30-ish to 40-ish. It's the 18 symbolic gifts/treasures.    


Where did all these "18-this-and-that" come from?
During my time, my Ma asked if I'd like a cotillion d' honor and the works. I declined coz I can't dance the "Beautiful Blue Danube" wearing gown and heeled shoes. Palibhasa "shana"! (Tararara-ran--Tan-tan--tan-tan)


Anyway, why 18? At 18, you have full civil capacity. You can vote, get a marriage license,etc. 



"The term Debutante is from the French word “Deb” for “female beginner”. The deb is a young lady who comes from the aristocratic class who is formally presented and introduced to the society as soon as she reaches the age of maturity.
The reason why a woman gets presented is to tell the entire court of her eligibility for marriage as well as to display her to bachelors from the upper crust. This event is called “The Debutante’s Ball”."(http://www.debutideas.com/)

Ayun, kaya naman pala!

So the modern world just gave the whole idea of debut some twist.
18 roses, 18 candles, 18 shots, 18 THOUSANDS (hundreds kaya?), 18 treasures or symbolic gifts, and a bunch of other 18s.

Image from readyflowers.com

So, what to get for the symbolic gift? This is a challenge for me. In the current world of internet, FB, Blog and Twitter, symbolic gifts would be Ipad, Iphone, Macbook, etc.etc. Whew! Pinagpapawisan ako. So I had my brain cells revved up- please think, think, think. It must symbolize something. Sagisag, symbol...







Y helped me yesterday, and I decided to get a ........(secret!). Can't even pronounce it correctly!

Now I'm thinking that when I reach 40, I'd give it a twist too. 40 Tulips, 40 ribbons/balloons,40 THOUSANDS!!! Or maybe 40 Skelan, 40 bottles of Pak Fah Yeow (White Flower). 


X

2 comments:

  1. x, what the heck is skelan? do you realize that if you reach 40, you may be voted out of this secret wall?!!! remember -- 30ish friends :) hahaha!!!! love, z

    ReplyDelete
  2. Z, Skelan is "Ayos ang butu-buto. Ayos ang galaw-galaw ko". Tune in to AM (DZMM) every morning on your way to the office. X

    ReplyDelete