Friday, September 09, 2011

fab! me, myself and dieting

If there is one thing that I am scared of, that is getting fat.  I have nothing against how fat people look, but I know I will just look better when I am not fat.  I have a round face so I guess that won't look very nice if I get really fat. 


Looking back, I think the earliest I became conscious about my food intake was when I was in college.  There was a time when I would not eat meat at all.  My breakfast would just be fried eggplant or tofu (and rice, I love rice!)

Google Images

Google Images


These simple fried dishes are still some of favorites after all these years... #confession


A few months before my wedding, I would eat a balanced breakfast (protein and carb) and then feed on Skyflakes, low-fat milk and banana until the evening.




I also enrolled in a gym, and even attended one or two Cosmic Cycling classes, which almost killed me, by the way...
Google Images


A few days  before my big-day, I got addicted to Dance Revolution on playstation! wahaha!  I am not a graceful dancer, but I lost 1 or 2 pounds with all those jumping, skipping, hopping.  Talk about cramming!!!






After I gave birth, I bought a magnetic (manual) treadmill, and walked/jogged on it for 20 minutes every single day.  That exercise really made me sweat a lot and there's not much pressure on my knees because I always set it on uphill.  Because of this, I easily got back my pre-pregnancy weight + around 5 pounds which is not so bad, considering that I would be carrying my baby a lot.  I also limited my rice intake to just brown rice. 




The last 2 years or so is the period where I tried the most number of diet programs / weight-loss programs.


1.  In the office we had this bet where we pay a joining fee, which goes to the pot money.  The biggest loser will get the pot money.  Another bet would be organized, one after another, and the mechanics would get more and more complicated.  I never won in any of those bets.  I know huhu, hahaha!


2.  I also tried the Morning Banana Diet for a while.


3.  I did some Bikram Yoga.  At that time, my sister had been doing it for about a year already, but I never tried despite her prodding.  Then Z did it also.  And so, with the peer pressure coming from Z (good luck nalang) Hahaha!




(digressing a bit, sorry, but I could not resist no sharing this stunning wall art, using computer components.  This looks like one position in Bikram Yoga, though not quite.  But to read further about this wall art:  http://www.home-designing.com/2011/09/stunning-wall-art-created-from-electronic-components?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+home-designing+%28Home+Design+Ideas%29)


Going back...  I stopped mainly because it takes so much of my time (traveling to the studio, 1 1/2 hour session, cleaning up before going home).  My hands are full with responsibilities at home, and officework, and going to Bikram even once a week exhausts me.


Z and I bought our own copies of this book:




I used it to polish my execution of the poses at home, and for a couple of times during the summer, I even tried to set up my own heated room using a hair blower (hehe).  I cheat on the counting and at least I don't have to curse hahaha!   


4.  The ultimate diet I had was that General Motors 7-Day Diet which I did with Z.  The result was very visible on the 5th day, and it went on for 2 weeks or so.  After that, I noticed a general slowdown of my metabolism.  I now find it harder to sweat on the treadmill.  I get bloated after some meals.  And I never want to taste brocolli, asparagus and cauliflower ever again! 


5.  After that mega-fad diet, I decided to just cut my rice intake, just like most dieters do.  For 2-3 weeks I stopped eating rice, and just ate lots of vegetables, fish and some meat.  I noticed some weight loss, but alas I was not able to sustain it.  I am proudly Asian, so I can't give up rice, ok?


Now, I think I am at my heaviest.  I have been eating like there is no tomorrow for a while.  And I think it is now time to get back on track again.  I want to wear flat shoes again without feeling conscious that I look fat.  I want to wear real slippers like Angeline Jolie does, and not platform slippers.  Hehe.




(Oops sorry got a bit carried away.. wehehe)


But I'd like to believe that balanced diet, food in moderation and everyday exercise is still the way to go. 


And I am going to start tomorrow! Or on Monday?  No, TOMORROW!  mwahahahaha


Let us see if I can keep it for the next two weeks.  Game?  Game!!


Y


Y, monday, monday! :)  bet?! wahaha! :)  -  Z


i am not sure if angeline jolie is wearing tkees in the picture above but if so,  here's one for our chika minute ---  jennifer aniston loves wearing tkees --- advertised as "cosmetics for your feet."  hmmmm. . .  something in common, again! haha! these comfy and slim flip flops are about $48 in the US and about P2,300 in manila (there's a shop in greenhills selling these, sorry i can't recall -- basta green yung facade nung store).  








well, i think if we (X, Y and Z) are to be identified as slippers,  Y would be the tkees, i would be fitflops and X would be havaianas . . .  


rationale:


tkees look slim, smart and definitely for girls only . . . the simplicity highlights its elegance;   tkees are also categorized as cosmetic types -- liners, foundations, lipsticks, blushes etc.  . . .  somewhat kikay and all-in-all like Y :)  hahaha!


as for me -- fitflops are soft (and on the chubby side, hahaha!) and appear to be a "flatfooted" footwear just like me . . . hahaha!  it also has extreme lines like shiny-shimmery thongs, "platypus" looking clogs, smeakers and also boyish leather boots . . . parang ako depende sa mood (topak, to be more accurate, haha!) . . . i can be girly-girlish and tomboyish. . . well, oftentimes on the boyish-side ata. . . hehe  (effect of having no sister) . . minsan din frustrated chef and bob-the-builder. . . haha! 


havaianas are very practical yet stylish (with several hollywood celebs even pairing these flip flops with evening dress!);  havaianas are also predominantly happy and colorful, but can at times be plain and serious na parang i mean business, quiet muna kayo dyan, work muna ako :)  most of all, havaianas rocks! reminds me of X . . . ha,ha,ha


(hmmm . . . might be in trouble when i see X and Y . . . lagot . . .  baka makumpleto ko ang angry bird set of friends ko . . . haha!  ok na din kesa plants and zombies ang nakapalibot sa akin . . . wahaha! btw, images are from coolspotters.com)


love,
Z

1 comment:

  1. Y, I gave up dieting. I saw "agony" in every dieter's face. Hehehe! Can still remember the look on your and Z's faces months ago while on General Motor's regimen.Di kaya ng powers ko!!!I can only take the Skyflakes diet. I've heard from someone that the secret to a good metabolism is eating 6 SMALL meals a day. That means, BLD and 3 snacks. If the tummy doesn't grind, it slows down metabolism. Of course, we know what happens when we eat humonguous (or GARGANTUAN, borrowing Z's term) meals. Good luck!

    X

    ReplyDelete