Sunday, September 04, 2011

not fab but stressed

I have been stressing out since last Thursday night when I found out that my little boy’s Challenge Exercises (which is the equivalent of Periodic Exam in high school and Departmental Exam in college) will be on the following Monday and Tuesday.  It was kind of treacherous for me because how could the school announce a big exam a few days away, leaving us only 3 nights to review with 2 of those nights being weekends?  (Before, they would announce it at least 1 week ahead.)  And what stresses me out all the more is that we have already committed to a relative to spend weekend overnight out of town.

I had a plan actually, but which did not work out.  Boohoo!  I brought with me papers on which I will prepare exercises while little boy is sleeping or swimming.  Turned out, the pool we went to was 4 feet deep all the way and so a child less than that height had to always be with a grown up. 


And yeah, I was too tired so I ended up sleeping ahead of everyone.  Waaah!

And then when we got home, little boy had a tummy trouble (no, I didn’t think it was feigned because his stomach looked bloated and felt harder than usual) and so I let him go to bed and gave him foot massage. 

While I was getting my things ready for work the following day, I saw the big boy reading leisurely


and so I asked him, why aren’t you pressured about the little boy’s exam?  He replied "Nah, he’s only in kinder and if you always prepare him for an exam then he will be dependent on you and he will never learn to study on his own."  I told him, "hello! your son is not in Kinder.  He is in Prep!  I can't believe you!"

But then again, I knew what Big Boy was trying to say (being the ever cool dad that he is, and to whom I always turn to when all else fails) and so I pondered, but I ended up feeling all the more stressed. 

I mean Big Boy doesn’t understand because he does not talk to the other parents in school who have a lot of time to study with their kids.  (And no, they don’t keep it to themselves because they brag about it.)  I know Big Boy would tell me “you know, you already lost the psyche war.”

And then I thought of my own experience.  As a student, I was never taught by my mom even if she was a full time housewife.  I remember asking her on several occasions what a word means, and she always tells me go look it up in the dictionary. 


(Oh no, my heart literally skipped a beat when I saw this on Google Images.  This is epic blast from the past!)

and then my dad was always at work, and I only remember once (when he was on vacation) when he taught me how to round off numerals, and another time when he taught me how to divide complicated numbers. Mom rarely asks if I finished my homework or studied for the exam, but I would see her disapproving expression whenever I don’t do well in an exam.   Despite these, I guess I turned out well.  (Talaga ha?  wahahaha!) 

But then again, those were the days.  I don't think moms now are as cool as my mom used to be.

But then, do I follow big boy?  Or should I absent  from work tomorrow, because how can I focus in the office if I am so worried about my little boy?

I’m such a wreck… 

And so, being the self-help person that I am, I decided to look up if I have a certain psychological condition which makes me a worry wart compared to Big Boy...   

I found out that women tend to multitask, and so they worry about 12 things in a day, while men only worry about 3 things in a day.  (What? That is so unfair!)  Also, even if 11 out of 12 things are going well, women zero in on the one that isn’t, and they get miserable about it.  Towards the end, the article suggests that women should acknowledge what is good in their lives as this would have a positive impact on their mental and physical health.  If you want to read further, here’s the link:

Good luck to me.

Y


No comments:

Post a Comment