Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Pigeon vs. Chicken

Pigeon or "kalapati".
I call Jollibee's "Chicken Joy" as "kalapati wings" if I am given a wing part . I say that when I'm craving much for fried chicken and they only give me a small wing part.


When size matters, one would think that a chicken a stronger than a pigeon.
But when I saw this coop last weekend, I compared the strength of these 2 birds.


pigeon and its chick sister


The owner opened the coop and the pigeon flew out. The chicken stayed in the coop. Nagdadalaga pa lang kasi.The chicken was adopted (hatched) by the "Mama" pigeon. The poor bird stayed with them since then.

So, if I am to compare adult pigeons and chicken, I'd say that pigeons are stronger and more resilient than chicken.
Pigeons can fly at great distance and height while a chicken can only fly low and at little distance.


There are races for pigeons even overseas and people bet thousands if not in millions of $$$. I haven't heard of chicken race (other than the "Chicken Run" years ago). Well it's a cartoon of talking animals, of course.


image from http://www.imdb.com/
Training the pigeons for a race starts at a small distance from their coop. If they will be able to return in a short time, they are qualified to race. O ha, may elimination process din ha. The owner told me that some of his pigeons were brought as far as Tarlac. They have this built-in GPS! Interesting creature.

Fortunately, most of his racing pigeons return. Those who did not make it were either shot or adopted by finders. 


X

No comments:

Post a Comment