Friday, February 17, 2012

"Ningyou" (Japanese Doll)

If the West and the rest of "westernized worlds" have their Barbie, the Japanese have their "ningyou".At least that's what Google said as the Niponggo(Nihongo) equivalent for "dolls".

I visited a very lovely house in Tagaytay last Sunday. They offered their guest room as I was trying to finish "Shadow of Death". I noticed a familiar figure that had somehow scared me as a child. This "ningyou" was looking at me from a corner.


I know it looks lovely, but I have this feeling that it's gonna move anytime and wink at me. The bed was luxuriously cozy but I was really feeling uneasy. I moved out and stayed in the living room.

I used to spend some of my weekend days at my grand uncle's house in Sta. Ana. It's where my fear for ningyou began. They are lovely to look at with their kimono, fan and all. The male dolls even have sword and elegant headdresses. But I really find them mysteriously creepy. Sorry, no offense intended. I admire the Japanese, their culture, attitude and cuisine. Japan is one of the places I dream of visiting someday.

In Japan, they hold festivals for dolls, just like what we do in the Philippines. We have Carabao Festival in Pulilan, Bulacan, Bangus Festival in Dagupan, Pangasinan, Panagbenga or Flower Festival in Baguio City. In Japan, they have "Hinamatsuri" or "Doll's Festival" every March 3, "to pray for young girls growth and happiness". (from About.com)


from www.japonic.com. This one is for sale
US$690.00


Samurai Warrior from www.japonic.com
US$980.00
 Can you believe that! They're antique that's why.

X

No comments:

Post a Comment