Monday, August 22, 2011

Ilocano 101 ("Cracked" Course)

Speaking Ilocano is as easy as abc, but understanding Ilocano is a challenge.
Ilocano is my third language (Tagalog and English being the 1st and 2nd respectively).

You think “didiay bangir, diak maawatan” is already funny? Wala pa yan if you read Bannawag (the Ilocano version of Liwayway). I grew up loving the magazine and usually hide the weekly copy under my pillow so that I’m the first to read, including Ilocano horoscope!

My folks are pure Ilocanos. Not the kuripot species.

My Pa (who speak and write the dialect very well) use “never-heard before” terms.
He grew up with the traditional “prayles” of Ilocos Sur with mixed local clergy.

Examples of his unforgettable lines:

  • Pag nakakita ng person na sour-graping he’ll call him – “kasla agis-isem nga bennek”. This means “parang nakangiting snail”. Ngumingiti ba ang snail?
  • Pag nakakita sa mga weddings or maski san event ng may maputing make-up eto comment nya – “Hala! Kasla wawak”. Meaning: mukhang mumu! Sobrang kapal kasi ng Lyna sa mukha!
  • “Alintaweng”- insane
  • “sarusar”- storage  place
  • “kasla nakuk-kokan nga bisukol”- I heard him say this once when a politician from our place scolded his “super alalay” in front of him. That alalay suddenly became kind to the people in our place. The term literally means “escargot”. Hahaha! Snail whose butt had been crushed.”
  • And if he can’t wake us up at 10am on weekends, he used to tell us “Dayta la ak-kob ti mata yo ti sir-siripen yon”. Meaning: “Yun na lang talukap ng mata nyo ang laging sinisilip nyo”


Basic terms when in the Ilocos Republic
  • Sagmamano – How much
  • Apay – Why
  • Saan- No
  • Wen- Yes
  • Papanan tayo- Where are we going? (remove the “ta” from the “tayo” meaning will be changed to "Where are you going")
  • Agawidakon- I’m going home.
  • Intayon- Let’s go
  • Napintas- pretty
  • Nagalas, naglaad- Ugly
  • Nabanglo- fragrant
  • Na-angdod, Nabangsit – smelly
  • Gayyem- friend
  • Kabusor- enemy
  • Napudaw- whiteee!!!
  • Nagpugot, nagngisit- Tim-i!!!
  • Napardas- fast
  • Nabuntog- slow
  • Naimas- delicious
  • Agyamanak- Thank you
  • Duray ditam- No way!
So many more… Abangan!!!

X


X, you forgot "lakay"  :)  and of course, i am interested in food! ha,ha! so, pakisama sa syllabus ng iyong course...samahan mo na din ng food tasting every monday...hehe! :) - Z

1 comment:

  1. Same here, Z. In our 6 years of marriage, I have only mastered the phrase "naimas ti" (it is useful when I dine with my in-laws), meaning "masarap ang", and my favorite is "naimas ti ikan," meaning "masarap ang fish". Walang kwenta yung ibang dishes because they say chicken, beef and pork the same way in tagalog or manok, baka and baboy. So, I try to find the Ilocano name of a dish like lauya, pakbet or bagnet. So Naimas ti Lauya, Naimas ti Pakbet, or Naimas ti Bagnet. So, ang saya kong kausap no! Wahaha!

    But super thanks for this X. Yesterday, I texted my big boy "Agawidakon". Yun nga lang, it turned out his cell was dead bat, so he did not get my message. Hay, Toynk!

    ReplyDelete