Monday, August 15, 2011

grammar snob much daw?

My ears suffered a bit after listening to co-workers repeately saying furnitures and equipments, instead of just furniture and equipment plain and simple.  Perhaps it is time to bring this to the attention of Mr. F who heads our training department.  (We are going to break Mr. F's style in a post someday.)
Although, did you know that most of us are equally guilty of some very common lapses in pronunciation?
1.  Toll should be pronounced as towl.  Same with Poll, and so it should be powl. 
2.  Gross (as in gross, opposite of net) should sound like grows.  Yup, just like how you say it when you are grossed out with something. 


It could take some time getting used to it, like "hey, magkano ang towl fee from Sucat to Alabang?"  Although, the other day, I heard Vicky Morales say over at Saksi "ang pagtaas ng towl fee."


So, next time, it should go something like, "How do you compute the Value Added Tax (VAT) on the towl fee?"  "First you get the basic amount of the towl fee and then you grows it up by dividing it by .88.  12% of that growsd up amount is the VAT."


Also, don't laugh to hear someone in his 20ish ordering creyp from Cafe Breton.  We heard that is really how they say it.


Very clear?  Uh, ehem ehem, Z?  you're about to say something?


Y


This reminds me of my childhood "provincial" neighbors. They call softdrinks "Pitsi" (for Pepsi) or "Sirs" (for Cheers). I received a good joke via SMS last August 12. Eto ooooh:
   "I'm sick of tired"(who isn't?)
   "True good to be true" (can't take my ice off you)
   "When in rains, it's four" (o'clock ba? or feet?)
   "Once in a new moon"(full moon yata yun tama, di ba???)
   "Please don't make fond of me. The more you hate the more you laugh" (I thank you. Bow!)
   "Alma Mother" (Lovely Ness)
   "No holes barred"( because they were vulcanized)
   "Keep you mouth shock" (Bzzzzzz, nakuryente daw)
   "Ats if" (Yeah, filling clean sya oh)
   "It's just the tip of the icing" (Naman, that's so little. I want the whole cake)
   "Connect me if I'm wrong" (Get PLDT please)
   "I hope you don't mine" (What! you're so taksil..taksil! Waaah)
   "I wanna portrait that role" (Ah, Van Gogh! may estudyante ka oh. paint na)
   " The nerd"( Gleeeee!!!)
   " Will you please give me alone" (pautangin nyo daw)


Hay bloody nosebleed! Gory!


X

2 comments:

  1. yeah, somewhere in that area where puto is so yummy, i heard: anong cuks mo, pipsi? (meaning, what softdrinks do you like, pepsi?) :) still, puto is the best from that part of the earth!

    Z

    ReplyDelete