Thursday, August 25, 2011

fab! nail buffing 101

Now that we are on the topic of nails (toenails and fingernails, and not the pako type, hehehe) may I just share what I look for in a nail salon.  For me, a good nail salon must not only give you a decent nail cleaning job, but must also be one that does “nail buffing” and can do it the proper way.  I believe that the need for buffing should not be underestimated.  Nail buffing makes the surface of the nail more consistent and shiny and, in the long term, stronger.  In my experience, the nail polish does not go off easily when my nails are properly buffed.


The technique is found in Wikipedia, and I quote:
  • The Emery board nail file should not be used to buff the surface of the nails. They are meant only to shape them from the side. 
  • The medium grit can be used to erase ridges and surface irregularities. This can be done before applying nail polish or as a first step before finer buffing. 
  • The fine-grained buff is used to smooth the nail to a matte surface. 
  • The finest finishing grit gives the nails a glossy shine.
I first got introduced to nail buffing in the mid 90’s.  I distinctly remember my Body Shop nail buffer, where the medium grit is white, the fine grained buff is baby blue and the finest finishing grit is baby pink.


What they now sell in Body Shop is this. I am very sure the printed surface is the finishing grit.


I also notice that most next-door express-nail-salons with nice chairs and individual lamps, and which are often built beside or near waxing salons, do not include nail buffing in their basic packages (P250-P450 for both hands and feet).  I am not sure if they do that in the more expensive packages, but that is a turn-off for me because nail buffing should be an integral part of the manicure-pedicure process.  In one salon, I tried their P700 package, but without getting nail buffing.  I felt that was highway robbery.


And even in some very few nail salons that do offer nail buffing, I had several turn-off-I-am-not-coming-back experience.  In one salon, after the cleaning process, they buffed the nail surface with one type of buffer which leaves the nail with a matte surface.  I tell you, even if they applied the Orly nail polish on my nails, the following day, the nail polish was chipping already.


In another nail salon, they have the correct nail buffer.  However, they took time in performing the medium gritting and fine-grained buffing for each nail, then just did the finest finishing grit haphazardly.  I guess this is one classic case of not understanding the technique.


There is only one neighborhood nail salon in BF Paranaque which I highly trust and could vouch as they do really excellent service (with nail buffing, of course) for such a low price of around P190 for the feet, inclusive of cleaning, signature scrubbing and massage and nail polish using Orly.  (I say neighborhood because it is very near our house.)  And trust me, I am not at all related to the owner or owners, and I do not even know them / him / her.  The downside is that they just have 1 or 2 manicurista at one shift, and so you really have to make an appointment or call prior.  Also, although they do not charge you additional for the use of imported nail polish, they have very limited shades.  But still the skill is very rare at least in this part of the Metro.




Y

No comments:

Post a Comment