Monday, October 03, 2011

In fairness, Unfairness or "Infiernes"

Why do we always submerge every typhoon season? Regardless of location in the P.I., everytime that there's a typhoon, the aftermath is a collage of submerged houses and other valuable properties and source of living. It seems unacceptable that the people down in the production line are the ones always subjected to the cruel effects of disasters . Indeed, it is cruel since most of the people in the "distibution", "manufacturing" and "trading" lines are the ones safe and sitting warm and dry in the comforts of their big and high rise houses.


Sometimes, I'd like to blame corruption and not nature.


Growing up in a rural community, each morning I see farmers pass by in the feeder road across our backyard fence. Every harvest season, they go home at dusk with their produce, tired and sun-burnt. But it does not end there. The harvested "palay" will be dried under the sun for a couple of days (or weeks if they get unlucky that their harvest is drenched with water). Then, it has to be milled, bagged and sold to a fat-looking trader. This trader will sell it to a bigger trader and the bigger trader will deliver it to a bigger establishment (fastfood chains, restaurants, etc.) or stored in a government warehouse only to be distributed as "relief" in times of crisis. Ironic isn't it? OH UNFAIRNESS!!! Tapos nag-iinarte pa yun ibang nag-oorder sa fastfood na ayaw ubusin ang rice. Think about the sweat and tears of the people who brought the tiny grains to your plate.


I do not want to sound like I am an activist here and do planking of all sorts to stress my point (besides, I can't do planking due to "slight" weight issues). In the flood-stricken village that we visited, TV personalities and politicians are everywhere in their signature rain boots (and boats) and warm and clean North Face jackets, drinking hot coffee under a makeshift HQ (tent). Wives of politicians who gave out their old signature clothes to the poor drenched souls just to be called generous and caring. C'mon, on the brink of death, Adidas or Tommy H. can't save someone. They need boats... Helloooo! Goodness! I also heard a rich persona busy blabbering, as if trying to point out to people that he's wealthy and impress them by lending his rubber boat for sightseeing. INFIERNES!


Alright, I'll be fair.  IN FAIRNESS, there are some politicians who really cared. They forgot when they had a meal or the last time they took a bath (amoy labada na sila). Okay,surely those Adidas or Tommy shirts kept someone warm.


My horrifying experience last weekend along NLEX viaduct got me on the verge of tears. I was afraid that the bridge will go down due to the collective weight of vehicles (trucks, buses, etc). I was holding my camera while silently praying.Thank you LORD that my family and I are alright.


Watch the video below on what I saw (Oct 1) in San Simon-Pulilan viaduct. I swear, on our way home, I broached to BH the topic on purchasing a jetski and vigorously argued that it need not be registered with LTO. I did that to calm myself, of course. Both BH and DS laughed at me.






When we got home, I started to count my blessings and so happy that I have a warm bed, warm food, good health and my family. For now, i can only give my fervent prayer for spiritual and physical strength to those who greatly suffered in the past week.


Faith is indeed the evidence of things not seen.


X

No comments:

Post a Comment