Monday, October 03, 2011

say no to plastic

Now that floods are giving us headaches and heartaches more than ever, the local government of Muntinlupa City should be commended for its strict implementation of the city ordinance which bans the use of plastic bags by all business establishments.




Early this year, Muntinlupa closed down Bread Talk in Alabang Town Center and Master Siomai at a Puregold branch for violating this ordinance.  More details here.  Bravo! That surely sent a very strong message across!


While the effect of banning plastic bags is not all pros, banning increases our awareness and promotes the habit of not just reusing bags, but also reducing non-biodegradable plastic in circulation.  Remember the 3Rs - recycle, reuse, reduce.


In my case, my bayong full of reusable bags is a fixture inside my car.  


As much as possible, I also bring my big bag when strolling around malls, even if I don't really plan to buy, as what if I end up buying.  I have this Bundi Paisley bag from Accessorize which I also bought on sale. It's been my partner in this small deed to Say No To Plastic and contribute to saving our environment. 






At the counter, say no to plastic, and even to those paper bags, as much as possible, and just shoot your loot inside your bag.  Don't forget to keep the receipt though (in that small inner pocket).  You don't want to be accused later on of shoplifting (oh no!).


I deeply appreciate the incentives some establishments give their customers who use their reusable bags.  This gives us additional encouragement not to forget to bring those bags.


Shopwise gives extra points (which convert to cash) if you use these bags


I use this Shopwise bag for wet items
Get a few peso discount if you use this in National Bookstore




All photos from Google Images, last one from Chuvaness.


Y

No comments:

Post a Comment