Friday, January 27, 2012

Tambobong,Dasol and Colibra Island: Discovered

Last weekend, we spent most of our days travelling Northern Luzon and western part of Pangasinan-the land of bagoong and bangus.


When I received the "Last Planner" from Z, I wrote in my bucket list,several places to visit this year. One of them is Tambobong Beach in Dasol, Pangasinan, particularly Colibra Island off the coast of Dasol Bay. I came across the island in one of my new pastimes for 2012-"Google mapping". It's travelling for free, it's exciting and it's educational. Geography 101. Hahaha!
Welcome to Dasol, baybeh!!!
Image from Google map


The road to Tambobong is not sedan-friendly.Travel from Urdaneta to Dasol will take almost 2 hours but trekking the road to the beach itself will take one hour. I checked the net on routes and got an info that there will only be a few kilometers of rough road. We passed the Dasol town and my oh my... it's not even a rough road. IT'S A HORSE TRAIL!!!! Surprise! While the view was breathtaking, our rides didn't enjoy brushing their butts on the hardened mud and rocks. Good thing that our ride is quite elevated. But our companions almost gave up. No sign of civilization. I'm not joking! It made me worried at one point.When we saw some horseriders and guys in motorbikes, my heart jumped and got super nervous. Please don't let this be my last day....I thought it was an ambush! Seriously. But the guys became our tour guides. They asked us to turn around and head for a less "rocky road".(I love rocky road ice cream!). The route is coming from Burgos town instead of Dasol.

Paved from the main highway...but a bumpy trek after a few meters.


Okay, I got excited when I saw the new route. I wanted to stop but I don't know where. The whole scenery is perfect. So rustic, rural, simple, calm  and laid back. Haaaay!


Not New Zealand...
so peaceful and rural
The beach was clean and teeming with marine life. Note, there is no high profile resort in the area. It's a fishing village and we homestayed in one of the households. The owner is Ms. Benilda Donato. Room was cheap as in cheapie. We rented one big aircon room for Php1,500 and one big fan room for Php1,000-total guests more than 15 adults. Cookware, utensils and use of gas stove and freezer were free.

Anyway, let me go back to the beach. Below are some pictures of the front beach.
waking up in a beautiful sunrise
Doggies playing during low tide
Of course, my dog needs to relax also
little catch. They call this "tirong"(dilis) or local anchovies.
We got this for free.

Marine life is also abundant.
according to one of the guests (a student of marine biology) the creature
inside the shell is a a type of marine slug (snail). I forgot the name.

 The locals made this poor little sea turtle a pet. They made a tiny hole in its rear and tied a very long and thin nylon rope. it swims back into the reef  when released but rope may be pulled for viewing. I was tempted to use a nail cutter to set it free but feared that locals may get angry. So sorry for this little creature.

look ma, it's a starfish
After breakfast, we headed to Colibra Island. (Snake Island). According to people, the island was then a home to sea snakes. Now, all the snakes are gone! It's a 15-minute boat ride from Tambobong. The sea was so calm. From the beach, you can see the island and the imposing 4 coconuts proudly standing. The view was breathtaking.



sand is orange. Parang Tang orange juice

Our boats. Round trip is Php700 per boat at 6 pax per boat.
 I have better photos of the island but it's in my bigger cam. I'd post some more next time.
If interested to visit Dasol, you may contact Ms. Benilda Donato in this number 0910-5641382. Or you can just go there and put up your tent in the beach.

Next in my list....hehehe! To be announced after I'm done with "Google-mapping". There's a nice strip of sand near Dasol. It's Balaki Island off the coast of Infanta....See you soon Balaki!

X

No comments:

Post a Comment