Friday, March 02, 2012

Saving Face

Nah, I'm not talking about a politician's desperate effort to redeem his name.
I am talking about the documentary movie which will be shown on March 8, 2012 on HBO.
photo from www.examiner.com

The documentary is about the revelation of the plight of Pakistani women. These women  were victims of abusive male-dominated society where it's a norm to beat and cause physical suffering to the female species.The surgeons in the story went to Pakistan to treat women whose faces were thrown with acid-disfiguring or scarring them forever.(According to an article in www.examiner.com). They do this when a woman disagrees with them. I recall when I was in high school, there was this acid-throwing scare in Metro Manila. I was afraid to go out of the house on weekends because of what was told in the news- that a crazy fellow throws acid at commuters on rush hours.

Anyway, in Pakistan,women were not allowed to reason out or fight for their rights because any attempt would mean physical pain. I just cannot understand why their culture allows such cruelty.AS IF THEY DO NOT HAVE MOTHERS!!!

I will surely watch this on March 8. By the way it won an Oscar for Best Documentary Short Subject.

X

No comments:

Post a Comment