Sunday, March 04, 2012

Red velvet not!

I am sorry X and Z. I did my best, mbut I guess my best wasn't good enough.

The big boy said that it tasted like 'puto' or rice cake. He ate it with cheese spread and was threatening to put ham on top. Hmmmpf!

I showed the recipe by Louisiana, Red Velvet cake with Splenda to my dear sister (confession: she's the true baker, and I'm the colorum), and here are her suggestions:
1. Not sweet enough. Splenda granulated is converted as 1:1 with sugar. It's no rocket science as it is written at the back of the package. Martha Stewart uses 1 1/2 cups, so definitely, 2/3 cup Splenda is not sweet enough.
2. I should have used more cocoa powder. Other recipes contain 16 tbsps of cocoa powder. My recipe is only 1 tablespoon. Martha Stewart's recipe has 2 tbsps of unsweetened Dutch-process cocoa powder. Well the type of cocoa powder might have spelled a world of difference.
3. I should have used more distilled white vinegar. Martha Stewart uses twice as much.
4. I should have used more oil.

I am heartbroken, to say the least, and Hokkaido Milk Tea with 2 Splenda and pearl from Serenitea did not make me forget. (Next time I will order Wintermelon Milk Tea, masarap pala...)

Tomorrow, I will follow the suggestion.

Lesson: not all recipes are created equal.

Sorry again, X and Z. Better luck next time.

Still sad,
Y

No comments:

Post a Comment