Friday, March 16, 2012

Book review: Claudia Gray's Evernight series

I am about to finish Book 3.  I can now say that this is the most entertaining and insightful vampire-ghost series I have read.  I say entertaining because the story is anything but boring.  The turn of events surprised me in a nice way.  And can I also say that this is the funniest (in a not trashy kind of way) vampire story I have read?  The things that happen to the main characters can be sad if you think about it, but I find myself laughing somehow.

I say insightful because the author did not scrimp on words to explain what goes on in the mind of Bianca.  The author would sometimes elaborate endlessly on a simple topic, but I didn't mind. The story is narrated from the point of view of Bianca, a girl who was raised her vampire parents.  At the beginning of Book 1, I found myself a bit annoyed at how naïve Bianca was, but it turned out later that it was just an intro to the meat of the story.

I will not go into details about the plot, because it might ruin the experience.  But, just like how X and I giddily gushed on, moloed and awaited the Jools Sinclair books, I think I would also want to give these Evernight, Stargazer and Hourglass (Books 1-3 respectively) the same status as recommended books.

Evernight, Stargazer and Hourglass have elements of the Twilight series, 44 and the Lovely Bones.  It is like the Twilight but a lot funnier, less mushy and less predictable, like 44 but with more things happening and more interesting characters, and like Lovely Bones but minus that heavy feeling you get when you read about a story that deals with murder.

If you ask me, Bianca is the most imperfect main character but you'll love her, understand her and even emphatize with her as you go through the books.

By the way, the ghosts (or wraith as it is called in the books) appeared only beginning in Book 2 (Stargazer).  Evernight is pure vampire stuff.

Xoxo, Y

No comments:

Post a Comment