Friday, May 18, 2012

Of plums and train stations

For lunch today, I have romaine lettuce with a slice beef pastrami, a piece of fresh plum, and some walnuts. I would have wanted to add some cayenne pepper but I was not sure how it would go with the pepper on the beef pastrami.

The meal is yummy. I also fixed the same for the Big Boy, though his romaine lettuce is more leafy. I got most of the hearts.

I got the plums from S&R. It costs about 20 per piece.

Years back, plums had a way of depressing me. When my parents first moved to the U.S., my mom would call and tell me how home sick she was. I remember her story about walking from her place of work to the train station in New York, and on the way, she would munch on plums and always end up having 1 plum left to eat when she reaches the train, hence the plum (with her teeth) becoming a pedometer of sorts. She also told me that it was her comfort food.

To put a closer to this, I recently asked her again what she thinks about plums. She again told me that story about when she was still working in NY.

I told her, you can reinvent plums, you know. I told about my plum salad. I heard her voice brighten up. She however cannot imagine eating it without any dressing at all. She suggested squeezing some lemon zest. I told, er, I don't know, I like it sweet and salty, not tangy or sour. Though, I will try.

There I hope she got over it.

xoxo, Y

Sent from my BlackBerry® wireless handheld

No comments:

Post a Comment