Saturday, April 28, 2012

chocolate cupcakes... again

I decided to bake another batch of chocolate cupcakes using Martha Stewart's recipe, because I still have 1 unopened sour cream in the fridge.

I am more confident this time because I have followed this recipe more than twice and so far I am satisfied with the result.

After I prepared the dry and wet ingredients separately, I went to take out the sour cream. Much to my dismay though, the best before date states April 21 or 6 days ago. I smelled it and it smells like sour cream. Nothing weird. Even the Big Boy agreed. However I thought that I'd rather throw away something that I simply got from the store, than risk having to throw away something that took me efforts to bake...

And so, I summoned Google my friend, to the rescue! Search: Sour cream substitute. Most results involve cottage cheese, which obviously I don't have either. And then I saw one that states, for baking, I can use 3/4 cup buttermilk and 1/4 cup butter. Sounds so simple because I know buttermilk substitute which is just 1 cup liquid milk and 1 tbsp white vinegar.

I thought for a moment... Hmmm, well I can live with that.

And so I did. The batter tasted close enough to the one based on the original recipe.

The recipe states 20-25 minutes of 350 deg F. I turned off the oven at 20 minutes and then left it inside for another 5 minutes.

Result is good. Not so moist and dense like fudge, but more cupcakey /spongecakey.

I topped 3 cupcakes with leftover cream cheese frosting from about a week ago, which is still good, and then with my baker self proverbial mini m&m's. I left the rest unfrosted, maybe I can make fresh frosting Sunday night... I am not promising X and Z but I will try... Wink wink

Bon appetit.

xoxo, Y

Sent from my BlackBerry® wireless handheld

No comments:

Post a Comment