Monday, October 08, 2012

E-Book 9: The Lovely Bones


Z lent the book two weeks ago and I finished it in 2 days.
My interest was caught when I was browsing some books on paranormal in Amazon.
Then I learned that the author Alice Sebold had a horrible experience similar to the main character in the book. This got me obsessed.


image from google


It was made into a movie in 2009 (and shown 2010 in the Philippines).

The book is about a pretty 14-year old girl named Susie Salmon who was sexually attacked and killed in 1973. The story is narrated by her from her perspective as a ghost. She frequently returns to the mundane world from her own "heaven" and watch how the lives of the people she cared for went on without her. How her family coped, her neighbors and friends remembered her and the life of her assailant. 

It was a chilling story. The author's description of each setting was so vivid-as if I can "touch and feel" the same. It was a sad world for her as a ghost, especially during those times that she was powerless to avenge her murder. 

A very nice book. Will try to look for the movie.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment